Lynnfield Locals Get Creative with Ceramics
SERVPRO looks forward to the Pottery courses for families in Lynnfield!
Two-Session Pottery Courses For Lynnfield Families
The Pottery Mill in nearby Lowell, MA, is proud to present two-visit workshops for interested parties in Lynnfield and elsewhere to unleash their inner artist. An experienced instructor guides small groups through a relaxing Saturday evening of throwing functional pieces on a pottery wheel. November and December course dates are available for groups of up to six people at a time.
- Classes are split into a duo of two-hour courses designed to help you create up to four pieces of pottery on a pottery wheel. Participants must be at least nine years of age.
- Attendees are allowed to bring snacks and refreshments.
- Course costs cover guided instruction, pottery materials, and kiln firing for both classes.
After your pottery is fired, you can come back to glaze it to finish your piece. Pottery is typically completely cured in approximately three weeks. Pickup takes place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 9:30.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield is a phone call away from providing water restoration for your Lynnfield home at (781) 593-6663.
Lynn Shoppers Enjoy Chelmsford Crafts and Shopping with Their Favorite Drinks
It will be exciting to see the community at the Fall Sip and Shop to kick off the Holiday season.
Lynn Residents Kick off the Holiday Season with the 2020 Fall Sip & Shop
The Chelmsford Fall Sip & Shop is home to dozens of vendors and craft specialists, all of whom have something interesting to offer Lynn shoppers. This occasion is the perfect opportunity for some holiday decor or gift shopping. The Fall Sip & Shop takes place on November 18, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Princeton Station BallRoom in North Chelmsford.
This free admission, annual fall shopping event features the following:
- Over 30 vendors to shop from
- Raffle tables to boost your prize-winning opportunities
- A cash bar to enjoy as you shop
- Entertainment in the lounge area
- Appetizers and other dining options available
Supporting local businesses is key to revitalizing communities. Giving back to hardworking solo entrepreneurs and company staff alike can be a fun and memorable experience that benefits everyone involved.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield provides Faster To Any Size Disaster mold remediation for Lynn homeowners when they call (781) 593-6663.
Local Festivals Invite Lynn Residents to Usher in Autumn
It will be exciting to see the community sampling delicious wines and seltzers this November!
Lynn Locals Sample Delicious Wines and Seltzers This November
Whether you live in Lynn or Cambridge, locals in the Boston area are welcome to join in the fun of the Boston Fall Seltzer & Wine Fest. All guests are submitted as entrants to win a multitude of door prizes and giveaway goodies. Prizes are valued at over $1,000. This fun and vibrant event kicks off on November 14, 2020, from noon to 10 p.m. at the Revere Hotel in Boston Common.
Other features at this exciting festival include:
- Photo stations and photobooths
- Music curated by live DJs
- Games and contests
- A silent auction, the proceeds of which benefit Project Smile
Project Smile is a New England charity that donates items meant to comfort children who have experienced trauma. Toys, books, crayons, stuffed animals, and more are donated to local fire and police departments to give to children in need.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield is prepared to support Lynn residents requiring water extraction. Call (781) 593-6663 for 24/7 rapid-response service.
Disaster Mitigation for Lynn Homes from a Local IICRC-Certified Firm
When fire affects your home, team SERVPRO can help. Contact our certified technicians for fire damage remediation services.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield is a Phone Call Away from Returning Fire-Damaged Homes in Lynn to a Pre-Loss State
Lynn, Massachusetts, founded in 1629, is among the largest cities in the Commonwealth and one of the oldest. Today, this integral part of the Greater Boston area is best known for its unique combination of contemporary art and historic architecture. This city’s gradual shift from an industrial powerhouse to a cultural landmark in the Commonwealth makes for a unique history.
Local offerings for the over 90,000 residents of Lynn include a diverse array of activities and venues such as:
- The Grand Army of the Republic Museum on Andrew Street, a military museum constructed in 1885 with exhibitions dating from the American Revolution through the Korean War
- The winding trails of Lynn Woods, a sprawling forest reserve packed with both flora and fauna that nature lovers are sure to enjoy
- The Lynn Auditorium, which regularly hosts big-name performers. Upcoming performances in late 2020 and early 2021 include The Irish Tenors, Christopher Cross, and Brian Culbertson
This historic city got its start as an English settlement shortly after the founding of Salem. The town initially got its name from a similarly-named market town in England, originally known as Bishop’s Lynn, until being renamed to King’s Lynn in the sixteenth century.
During this colonial period, Lynn was most renowned for its shoe-making and tannery, which focused on leather goods. To this day, the city seal features a colonial boot that is evocative of its history with shoe manufacturing. In the nineteenth century, this focus expanded into dozens of factories and several tanneries opening to accommodate the demand for shoes and leather goods.
Lynn’s booming shoe industry allowed entrepreneurs to invest in electricity through such companies as the Thomson-Houston Electric Company, which would merge with Edison Electric to form General Electric before the end of the nineteenth century. GE started as a manufacturing hub for various electrical components before expanding into aircraft engine manufacturing during the Second World War.
The First and Second Great Fires of Lynn
Unfortunately, Lynn has experienced several large fires throughout its history, including a 3-alarm fire in a three-story house on Chestnut Street in May 2020. In particular, two fires have left indelible marks on the city almost a century apart from one another.
The Great Lynn Fire of 1889
On the afternoon of November 26, 1889, a fire ignited at Almont and Oxford Streets that spread rapidly, eventually destroying Central Square and decimating Lynn’s business district. This fire spread incredibly quickly due to the prevalence of wooden structures. While no serious injuries or deaths were reported, the local economy took a significant hit.
- Over 100 buildings were destroyed by the fire
- Losses incurred were totaled at over $5 million at the time, or over $164 million today
- According to The Boston Globe, on the following day, buildings on several streets were destroyed
- Commercial losses included over 150 factories, over 120 houses, 80 shoe manufacturers, four banks, and three newspaper companies
The Second Great Lynn Fire of 1981
The 1970s and 1980s were hard on Lynn, as the city endured many large fires, the most disastrous of which occurred at a shoe factory on November 28, 1981. This fire required the assistance of a whopping 94 communities from Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts to extinguish.
Damages incurred included an estimated $80 million of property loss to seventeen downtown properties. The affected area on Washington and Broad Streets has since been redeveloped into loft apartment buildings and a satellite campus of North Shore Community College. While the fire was later determined to be an arson, no suspects were convicted of the crime. The only associated charge was for perjury committed in a federal court.
Lynn: A City of Resilience
In the early 1990s, while on the road to recovery from several major fires in the past decade, marketing for the city shifted to focus on the city’s achievements, which included:
- The first ironworks, tannery, fire engine, and operable electric streetcar in Massachusetts
- The birthplace of Lydia Pinkham, the first woman in advertising
- Home of the United States’ first dance academy
The early 2000s saw a shift from industrial districts to revitalizing historic districts into cultural centers. Revitalization efforts are ongoing, focusing on converting former industrial complexes into mid- to high-end lofts. These efforts have led to downtown Lynn being formally recognized as an arts and culture district by the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield’s team has extensive training and certification in fire damage cleanup and restoration. The faster these tasks are performed by licensed professionals, the more quickly communities can be safely restored to a safe and comfortable condition.
How Does SERVPRO’s Fire Damage Cleanup Remove Smoke Odors from Lynn Homes?
SERVPRO technicians are licensed to render fire and smoke damage cleanup for Lynn properties with industrial-grade mitigation tools and EPA-registered antimicrobial solutions that sanitize spaces and kill odors.
Smoke odors, fire damage soils, and protein residues can contribute significantly to persistent odors in your home. SERVPRO Odor Control Technicians (OCTs) use a variety of deodorization methods to address these soils, including:
- Removing unsalvageable, odor-causing debris from the property
- Manually dislodging loose soot deposits with agitating tools
- The use of sophisticated technologies like hydroxyl generators and HEPA filter air scrubbers
- Abrasion cleaning with soda ash, which offers a certain degree of deodorization
- Time-release odor control pellets and counteractant beads
SERVPRO’s Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training allows local teams to service your property according to restoration industry standards 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield has an emergency response team on standby to make your home look and feel, “Like it never even happened.” Call (781) 593-6663 to begin the restoration process within hours of your initial contact.
How Do Fire Damage Restoration Services Return Your Lynn Home to Its Pre-Fire Condition?
Repairing your home after fire damage is a hard task to tackle alone. Contact SERVPRO for professional remediation and mitigation services.
In General, Lynn Fire Damage Restoration Services Eliminate Fire-Related Airborne Particles and Soot Residues, as Well as the Foul Odors They Cause.
As Lynn house fires burn, they produce two main things: odorous airborne particles and acidic soot residues. Airborne particles spread throughout your home, landing on various surfaces, while residues are left behind by burned substances.
How Do Remediators Remove Harmful Particles and Residues from Your Home?
Lynn fire damage restoration companies like SERVPRO work to eliminate these residential fire products. Various steps are taken to clean the interior air of your home and remove combustion remnants from impacted surfaces. Once onsite, SERVPRO technicians:
- Employ advanced air movers and high-velocity box fans to suck in and push out odorous smoky air from your interiors
- Use state-of-the-art air scrubbers to remove smoke particles from the air and surfaces around your residence
- Clean up smelly soot residues from your ventilation network with innovative HVAC cleaning systems
- Remove acidic residues from household surfaces via wet, dry, or abrasive methods
- Deodorize impacted upholstery and carpeting with deodorant injectors
- Neutralize any odorous airborne particles with Vaportek systems and ozone generators
- Generate smell counteracting fogs with sophisticated foggers to further deodorize affected spaces and materials
Once these steps have been taken, the basic restoration process is generally complete. However, depending on the extent of your home’s fire damage, we may also need to reconstruct rooms or areas of your residence destroyed by the blaze.
When it comes to fire risks, you can never be too safe. Always be sure to avoid fire-related hazards whenever you can. SERVPRO advises that you practice safe cooking habits, like never leaving cooking food or children unattended or allowing cooking oil to overheat, and always keep a class ABC fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Also, properly maintain and periodically clean all household appliances.
Call your helpful neighborhood SERVPRO of Lynn/Lynnfield at (781) 593-6663 if you ever need assistance.
Click here for more information about Lynn.
How are Contents Cleaned During Fire Restoration?
The situation can feel quite overwhelming when your home and belongings are affected by fire damage. Contact SERVPRO for remediation services.
SERVPRO Handles the Cleaning of Your Lynnfield Home’s Contents Using Proven Fire Damage Restoration Techniques.
Fire is a destructive force that can leave behind thousands in damages, even if it only impacted one room of your home. When addressing the contents of your Lynnfield home, it is not always the case that everything is a total loss after a fire. SERVPRO features highly-skilled fire restoration technicians (FRT) ready to handle pack-outs and specialized contents cleaning services. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster, giving us plenty of time to address soot and smoke damage before it has time to set in and create costly secondary damage.
Why Do I Need Pack-Out Services?
Often, the fire damage restoration process in Lynnfield is more manageable when our crew carefully inventories, packs up, and transports items off-site for cleaning. This frees up space to allow our team the room necessary to address structural damages and debris. Not only that, but we also have specialized cleaning tools available at our facility to handle varying levels of fire damage from soot, smoke, and moisture left from the water or chemicals used to extinguish the blaze.
The way that we handle contents cleaning includes:
- Appliances – Non-absorbent surfaces, such as metal, plastic, and glass, can get cleaned using water-based detergent solutions.
- Books – The severity of the damage determines how we proceed when cleaning books. Light smoke residues are often handled with dry cleaning methods like brushing, compressed air, and vacuuming. Moderate or heavy residue calls for more aggressive measures, including alkaline surface cleaners or thermal fog deodorizing.
- Upholstered Furniture – We always test materials before cleaning to select the right method for the job. Dry soils get cleaned first, followed by dry solvents to ensure no shrinkage, bleeding, or browning occurs.
SERVPRO of Lynn/Lynnfield is the team to call if you want help handling your contents during fire damage restoration. Call (781) 593-6663, and we can dispatch a crew 24/7 to get to work.
What Are the Different Types of Flooding that Can Impact Lynnfield Homes?
Contact SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield at (781) 593-6663 for expert flood damage service.
Storms Bring a Variety of Flooding to Lynnfield, and SERVPRO Can Provide Fast Mitigation
Flooding can cause water to come pouring into your home in various ways. Groundwater from natural flooding can be highly contaminated and present all kinds of biohazards. Certain flooding comes from clean water but can cause severe damage to the structure and content. Our technicians assess the situation and provide the mitigation you need in Lynnfield.
What are the Most Common Flood Situations SERVPRO Technicians Encounter?
SERVPRO technicians encounter different types of storm flooding and understand the flood damage it can cause in Lynnfield. Knowing what type of flooding they are dealing with and the water category, they can then provide the right mitigation. Every situation is unique and can call for a different approach. Here are the typical flood scenarios are technicians see:
• Natural Flooding – Steady rainfall and even heavy snowfall can lead to creeks, lakes, and streams rising. When they overflow, it can result in water penetrating homes as the levels rise and spill over their boundaries. The water, in this case, is contaminated
• Flash Flooding – This type of flooding occurs rapidly. It can be from heavy rainfall or storms such as hurricanes. Flash flood water is also contaminated. The water surges in swiftly and can damage structural elements quickly.
• Roof Flooding – Storms can cause roof damage and leave your home vulnerable to water intrusion. This is typically clean Gray Water that can quickly degrade into category 3 Black Water but can cause moisture to spread throughout the entire home.
• Wind-Driven Flooding – Strong winds from storms can tear the siding off a home; windows can break, and winds can damage the outside. Winds like this often accompany torrential rainfall and can drive water inside the residence.
No matter what type of flooding causes flood damage to your home SERVPRO is here to help. We understand the importance of returning to normal as quickly as possible when a flood comes surging through. Our Green Team arrives on the scene ready to clean, repair, and restore your home to preloss condition whenever possible.
Contact SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield at (781) 593-6663 for expert flood damage service. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!
How Does SERVPRO Decide What to Clean During Fire Damage Restoration?
SERVPRO Can Help Homeowners in Lynn when They Are Confronted with fire damage.
Lynn Homeowners Want to Know if SERVPRO Can Save Their Belongings.
Lynn homeowners only need to take a quick look around to realize just how many possessions a home can contain. Whether you live with a family or live alone, it is effortless to accumulate furniture, clothes, knick-knacks, etc. If there is a fire in your home, your belongings provide fuel for the flames, which is a sobering thought.
Residents who need fire damage restoration in Lynn are curious about what SERVPRO can save from smoke damage, and how we decide what to clean and what to toss. Many factors affect the cleanability of an item.
What can SERVPRO clean after a fire?
Fire spreads quickly, and in a very short time, your belongings can burn. We understand how distressing it is to see your home after a blaze. Thankfully, we have the tools and cleaning products to clean most household items:
- Clothes, linens, towels, and drapes
- Wooden furniture and cabinets, textiles, and carpets or rugs
- Documents, art, photographs, and craft supplies
- Ornaments and keepsakes
It is our policy to clean items rather than replace them, if possible. Cleaning is cheaper than replacing things, it makes it easier to claim on your insurance, and it lessens the emotional impact of losing precious belongings.
We cannot save items that have suffered extensive physical damage. For example, we cannot salvage clothes that are burned beyond wearing or furniture that is warped to the point that it is unusable. These items were often close to the heart of the fire. However, as we move out from the source and into the rest of your home, we will find many not physically broken items. Instead, we start seeing things covered in smoke stains, and our technicians are highly skilled at dealing with those.
What difference does the kind of smoke make?
The kind of smoke makes a big difference to the cleanability of an item:
- Dry smoke residue is powdery and easy to clean away from surfaces
- Wet smoke residue contains more compounds such as aerosols and is stickier, which makes it harder to clean
- Fuel oil soot is generally soft, but some particles are crustier and, therefore, more challenging to clean without damaging the surface underneath
- Protein soot is harder to see but smells terrible and requires an extensive cleaning
What about the type and age of material?
Porous materials are more difficult to clean than smooth materials because soot residue can penetrate further into them. For example, it is easier to clean an enamel-painted surface than a wallpapered one because the wallpaper is more porous. Synthetic fibers are usually easier to clean than natural ones because of their smoother surface.
The age of the item also makes a difference. Older items generally have more wear and tear and are thus harder to clean. This is true for furniture, clothes, and textiles.
Are there any other factors?
Several other factors affect cleanability:
- The temperature of the fire – hotter fires cause more warping, bubbling, and cracking, which makes surfaces more porous and more likely to take on smoke residues
- The amount of moisture – fire-fighting chemicals and sprinkler systems can make residues wetter and more likely to sink into a surface and stain it
- Air pressure during the fire – as the pressure rises, the air forces soot into cracks and crevices
- Type of material burned during the fire – synthetic materials and plastics leave behind more challenging residues than natural fabrics like cotton and wood
We take all aspects into account when deciding what to clean and what to discard.
How do fire restoration technicians reach a decision?
SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield technicians start at the source of the fire and work outwards, dividing materials into salvageable, non-salvageable, and undecided. We train our remediation teams to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards, which means they are experts in assessing what to clean and what is beyond saving.
We agree on our cleaning plan with you before we commence. Then we use a combination of HEPA vacuuming, scrubbing, hydraulic cleaning, ultrasonic cleaning, spot cleaning, and fogging to cleanse and restore your furniture, textiles, and personal belongings.
We deodorize your home and contents before we leave, to get rid of lingering smoke odors.
Will SERVPRO restore items to their preloss condition?
We aim to restore items “Like it never even happened,” where possible. However, it's not always possible to restore an item to its preloss condition. Our team will inform you of the likely results before we begin cleaning, so you always know what to expect.
For help with fire restoration, call SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield at (781) 593-6663.
Can Restoration Services Remove Smoke Odors from My Business?
If your office experiences fire damage, SERVPRO has the tools and training to restore your business to pre loss condition.
SERVPRO Arrives at Your Lynn Business Ready to Remove Tough Smoke Odors with Expert Fire Damage Restoration Service
Even the smallest fire leaves behind foul odors and damage within any commercial space that may keep you from regular operations. Knowing that you need prompt action to get your business back up and running, calling in the help of trained restoration technicians to your Lynn business is the best move. At SERVPRO, we have IICRC-certified technicians and the advanced technology necessary to get the job done fast.
How Does Smoke Odor Removal Work?
When called for fire damage restoration in Lynn, we arrive at your business to begin the initial assessment. Once the action plan is in place, we remove all charred building materials and any interior contents deemed unsalvageable. Any water left from extinguishing the flames gets extracted, and we start to focus on soot and smoke residue.
- Dry sponges allow us to pick up powdery soot
- Wet sponges and industrial-grade cleaning solutions help remove sticky, stubborn smoke residue
- All areas are tested before cleaning, which helps to ensure the best method gets used for the type of residue present
For tough smoke odors, we often use thermal fogging technology. With this process, our thermal fogging equipment puts out a chemical fog with odor-neutralizing power that reaches particles deep down in crevices and cracks. We also use air scrubbers to help remove odorous elements and particles from the air.
Whatever building materials are deemed unsalvageable, our team removes them, and everything is replaced with brand-new materials to bring your business back to preloss condition.
Fire damage restoration is something that we specialize in at SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield. You can call us 24/7 to have a team deployed to your location in as little as four hours. We can be reached at (781) 593-6663.
We Can Remediate Mold From Your Lynnfield Home
SERVPRO can help remediate mold damage in your home. Call us today.
SERVPRO Can Remediate Mold Damage Inside of Your Lynnfield Home
Many situations could cause mold damage inside of your Lynnfield home. Mold spores are omnipresent and relatively harmless in their spore form. However, when exposed to excess moisture, they become active and cause many issues inside your home.
The mold damage in your Lynnfield home could damage your house's wooden frame as mold feeds off organic material. Furthermore, mold can cause health effects to the individuals inside of the home. Whenever you suspect mold damage may be inside of your home, it is wise to reach out for help right away.
Here at SERVPRO, we believe in being available when you need us. No matter what time you call, our technicians are ready to travel to your location with a van-full of advanced technology. Our technicians are expertly qualified for remediating the mold damage in your home and are certified by the Institution of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC).
When our SERVPRO technicians arrive at your home, they can get to work right away. The mold damage in your home came about by leaky plumbing in your bathroom. Thankfully, such a small space makes it easy to contain and remediate.
Our technicians can start by setting up plastic sheeting around your bathroom entrance to quarantine the mold damage. Furthermore, we can shut vents and ensure that any opening airborne mold spores could travel through is closed. Once we're ready to remediate, SERVPRO can set up an air scrubber equipped with a HEPA filter to pull mold spores from the air while we work.
We can begin to agitate the mold colony, scrubbing it away from any non-porous materials. SERVPRO can also remove any infected porous materials to ensure no remnant of the colonies remains behind. Our technicians can use a biocide to help stop future infestations from the treated area to finish things off.
When you need help, always reach out for it. Immediately contact SERVPRO of Lynn / Lynnfield by calling (781) 593-6663. No matter the time, we're ready to help.